Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Evangeline's School Options

I was raised in a public school. I learned to read, write, do some basic math, sort of. :/ Math is my weak spot as most of you know. But I was a relatively normal child. (I wish I knew another word for "normal") I had asthma. I didn't need constant monitoring by a teacher. Over sized classes are the staple there. I was placed in the back of the room because I was a "good" student (because I didn't talk, not because of my grades) I was able to eat breakfast at home, eat whatever sludge they decided to serve us in the Caf. and then eat a snack when I got back home, then supper. I did PE, like most other kids. Mumbling under my breath about this or that, but doing it anyways. I didn't have to worry about muscle breakdown, being too tired from not having physically enough energy and not eating adequately. I went about my day, "normally". We had a school nurse there to administer my asthma meds, should I ever had needed them.

Evangeline, on the other hand is different. She will have to worry about all of those things that I mentioned. She has to eat to have energy to do math, PE, music, and even talk. If we chose to put her in a public school, a school nurse would, initially, not be any more equipped to take care of her than I was. She would have to be well versed in the nature of LCHAD, as would all of her teachers, principals, bus drivers, same as in a Private school.

So why is it then, because she has a special condition that she, because of the nature of her condition,according to some, going to be even more difficult to get into a private school? When they have smaller sized classes? Teachers who who aren't over worked? (Not that I am saying Public school teachers don't care, by any means!!! But its hard to watch 31 kids like they need to be, as opposed to 17)

I guess what I am trying to say is that it is even more so important that she get into a private school where they can monitor her closely, where her opinions will be listened to, where her voice will be heard, and where the parent voice is respected as much as the teacher and child. And also to have her respected and not looked upon as being "weird" for being different for whether it be because she cant eat certain foods, or because she has a feeding tube. Where she will be INCLUDED. If, when she does get into school, and we do need a nurse, we can provide one.

No comments:

Post a Comment