Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 7, 2010

Mixed Emotions

These past few weeks have been tough. 4 weeks ago Evie Grace got some sort of virus and has been sick ever since. That, of course, means that she hasn't been eating the way she needs to. Her Ped. said that she has been getting 38 ccs per Kilogram per day when she needs to get 50 ccs per kilogram per day. Thats really not too far off from where she needs to be.

So, today we got some exciting and scary news. Her ped wants to try whats called an NG Tube. This will go through her nose and into her stomach. It will be taped to her face and is completely removable. It will come with a pump so that at night time she can sleep (and so can we!!!) and still be fed. We can start at 6 hrs. This is amazing because we have never let her go more than 3 hrs to eat. Thats not to say she won't wake up. If she does, we simply turn the pump off, and give her a bottle. We still will have to give her a bottle during the day so that she doesn't get whats called food aversion. We need her to be able to still "nipple" well. (or take a bottle well).

For me, this comes with mixed emotions. On one hand, I would love to be able to sleep for more than a few hours a day. I would also love for her to sleep more than a few hours a day. I know how hard it is on her eating every 2 hrs much less, every hour! Poor baby gets tired of sucking, I'm sure. On the other hand, I want her to be as normal as possible. Its hard for me to see her with a tube in her nose, covering her pretty face. Now, she looks fine, but with the tube comes many questions, I'm sure. I worry about going into the grocery store and people saying things to me, that I really don't want to hear. Shes my baby and its tough enough without harsh criticism from others who don't know what she has been through. I was talking with the Hubby about it and while I know that I shouldn't care what others think, it will be hard for me to take her out because I don't want them feeling sorry for her, or even picking on her for being different. The one downside to the NG tube is that you can see it, unlike the g-tube. We are going to get family pics done soon and I would hate for that to show up. Its also going to be hard to just snap photos because this, I'm not sure I want to remember. I guess its just motherly instinct to want to protect her from unkind words. We both, however, do like the fact that its completely removable. If she doesn't need it, then we can take it out, unlike the G-tube.

I hope that this is the best thing for her right now. Its not as invasive as the g-tube, but its not as tiring for us trying to force feed a child who doesn't want to eat. Plus it lets Baby Girl rest too. I think part of the reason she isn't getting well is because she isn't sleeping. Everyone knows you need rest to get better.

Thanks for all you have done. It has been making my life a little better, a day at a time. I can finally see an end in sight. If this works, I may be able to start school in the fall to finish getting my second degree, enabling me to teach public school. Who knows what the future holds?

Please still keep us in your prayers. This is a very sad and difficult step to take. I know I shouldn't feel like this, but I think that if I wouldn't get tired, then I could keep going, preventing her from having to go through getting this. If I could just keep it up, and feed her like she needs to, or if I could get the formula down her somehow, then she wouldn't have to go through this ordeal. I feel as though I have failed her. Its hard making this decision. I hope its the right one.

5 comments:

  1. Brittany, you are doing great! Don't get discouraged, you haven't failed Evie at all. You all need your rest so that you can truly enjoy being a family and so that Evie can get better. Elijah had LOTS of trouble with reflux and allergies when he was a baby. For nearly 4 months I nursed him exclusively, every HOUR but he wasn't gaining enough weight. When they told me to stop nursing and put him on Neocate, all I could do was cry. I felt that I was the problem and that I had failed him. It took me only about a week or two to see the releaf that the formula gave him (no allergens and easily digested) and how much more I could do when I wasn't spending most of my day nursing him. Elijah was actually my second baby. We lost our first to SIDS so I was so focused on trying to make sure that I did everything right. I now realize that what's right for one baby isn't right for the next. The feeding tube is right for Evie right now and will provide much relief to you all, especially her. It won't be that bad and it won't last forever. She's beautiful and no amount of tubing will ever change that. I'll be praying for you and your family. Enjoy your summer and good luck in school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alaina had an NG Tube for awhile after she came home. To my surprise when we went out no one said anything. We did get some weird looks. But, it allowed Michael and I sleep to some. It helped us quite a bit as well as helping Alaina. She on it about 6 weeks and then it was taken out. I still took pictures of her. I don't particularly like to look at them but we have them. I even put them in her baby scrapbook. I want her to know just how special she is when she gets older. Just remember Evie isn't going to remember anything yet. I think about you daily. I wish I could be there for you.
    Lots of love,
    Tabatha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audrey: Thanks so much for responding. I had no idea about your baby from SIDS or the trouble you went through with Elijah. I am so glad that you have your family now and things are better for you. Thanks for your encouragement! We will make it.

    Tabatha: I didn't know about little Alaina and her problems either. I love that your baby is doing fine now. I wanted to thank you for your encouragement too. This has been a tough road for us, but It can only get better, right? Anyways, I think about you a lot too! I wish we could get together and talk! We have so much in common! Anyways, Miss you!

    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brittany, you are human. You need to sleep. In fact, you may find that Evie does so much better when she's able to sleep longer as well. I'm sure that she's not sleeping as much as her growing little brain needs to sleep, so this may actually be very good for her. I'm sure it will help you, because when you're constantly tired you get depressed and things are even harder. I think of and pray for you guys each day. I know that we never really knew each other very well until recently, but I feel a connection to you because we are both fighting for our kids. Please take lots of pictures. If not to show people, at least to show Evie. Believe it or not, there will be a day when a sixteen year old girl is sitting in front of you, crying with her first broken heart. You'll have something to show her and say, "Look what you've already overcome. You'll get through this too."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brittany,
    It's an uphill battle. I took on the saying that we can only go to the bottom of a valley before we go back to the mountain top. I'm hoping that everyone in your house is able to get some rest. It will be much needed for everyone. It will probably help improve some moods too. :) I think you will be surprised at how well she does sleeping through the night. One day you will wake up and realize that everything you went through was worth it and that you have a beautiful little girl sitting in front of you. This happened to me just since Michael has been away. Maybe one day I can get up with you on the phone or the internet.

    Tab

    ReplyDelete