Powered By Blogger

Friday, September 24, 2010

Advocacy for Those Who Cannot speak!

Yesterday, a young child lost his life due to a Mitochondrial Disease. I'm not sure about which specific one. But I know his mother, father, and sister know everything about it. This child is one out of many that have lost their lives due to a Mito/FOD disease. There are many wonderful charities out there that do research/education for childhood/adult conditions. To name a few, Susan G. Komen, Jerry's Kids, St Judes, Children's Miracle Network, etc. But how many of you have heard of Mitochondrial Diseases? Much less a place to facilitate funds as well as education on these types of diseases? There are 2 wonderful websites that I go to quite often for my own education and support with Evangeline's LCHAD (which falls under the Mito "umbrella" so to speak) The first one is a way to get facts and info as well as to be able to donate/be an advocate for these wonderful children who cannot, themselves, speak.

www.umdf.org

The second one is a way for family and friends of children with these disorders/diseases to connect. To share recipes, get support, etc. We are talking practical advice that the Drs don't tell you about. Day to day life living with a Mito/Fatty oxidation disorder.

www.FODsupport.org

These past few weeks I have had it on my heart to start being an advocate for not only my child but for others suffering from these disorders/diseases. We have been blessed beyond belief by being able to get a Nurse in the home for 30 hrs a week. So I now have more time and more energy to focus on finding me. While I do want to get a job, I also want to try and bring people information, clear, information about Mito diseases. The more people that are aware of the severity and the dangers that these particular conditions, the more likely we are to get a cure.

Perhaps if we came together, as a community of 1, we could work together to try and find a cure for not only my sweet Evie Grace, but for all children (and adults as well) living with these diseases.

What is my place in all of this? Starting next week, I am going to try and see if we can't raise awareness here in Shreveport. Denton, Tx had a 5k coming up that was for Mito. Perhaps we can find a way to have a 5k here? I am not sure. Many ideas are in the works, and God is helping me to figure all this out.

So, you may ask, "how can I help?" Firstly, you can pray. Pray for these kids, and their families that are dealing with this day to day. Secondly, if we can get a 5k here in town, get out your best sneakers and start preparing! Thirdly, know that while cancer, muscular dystrophy, cystic fibrosis, etc, are all known about, Mito diseases, while not as rare as you might think, are generally not. So begin talking about it!

There is also another need here in Shreveport. We have so many kids in the hospitals that need our support. Physically, mentally, spiritually. Not all kids are born with parents that are supportive. Some kids are simply left in the hospital for days on end. Other times the parent has other responsibilities and simply cannot stay with the child. Then, there is the need for the kids in the hospitals to feel safe and more at home. Again, you ask, "how can I help?" There are several ways. You can volunteer at Sutton Childrens, here in Shreveport and just do whatever is needed. You can also donate gently used toys or even brand new ones for kids of all ages. Then lastly, you can always pray. Pray for these kids as they are in an unfamiliar, often scary place, sometimes alone.

Thanks for listening and being a part of this chapter in our lives. Hopefully, we, together, can help minister to children and adults in this very practical and much needed way. Thanks again.

1 comment:

  1. Well Brittany I think you cab do just about anything you plan on doing! I've ran a few 5k's in my day and so has Sarah beth. You definitely have the friends and family to back you up! Golf tournaments are good too! We are ready when you are!

    ReplyDelete