Powered By Blogger

Saturday, February 12, 2011

My Secrets

Sometimes I think that if people were to see the real me, they may not like what they see. Sometimes I feel that even God doesn't like the real me: the person that keeps things hidden so far down, that no one, not even my close ones, know or want to know what is going on.

I am a woman, trying my best to figure out God's will for my life. I could have gone to Grad School, then on to get my Doctorate, but instead, I am a mother and a wife. In that order. I never meant it to be in that order, it just happened. Circumstances prevent me from putting my marriage first. That being said, sometimes I feel like even Patrick is at one end of a long, dark tunnel, and I am at the other. We only see shadows of each other.

Furthermore, I'm not even sure I am following God's will for my life. I am just floating along. We didn't plan Evie...We didn't pray about having her. I didn't pray to see if I should quit working. I didn't pray to start selling 31. These things just Happened...So how do I know I am following God's plan? I always thought I would be singing somewhere, or teaching music, or directing a choir, performing in some capacity, doing something along those lines. Instead, I sing at church and teach preschool 1 day a week for 30 min at a time. How do I know that is what God wants me to be doing???


I have heard a lot of compliments lately about how brave I am, about how strong a woman I am for dealing with a special needs baby, but the truth is, that I didn't ask to be that way. I don't try to be strong. I just do what I have to do. Any mother in my shoes would do the same thing. I don't pretend to know everything about my baby. I research and search for answers when I need to. I have given up my career for her. But honestly, any mother would do that, if they had to. And most do, in some way or another. I am not special. I was not given Evie for any specific reason, but she was a gift. I will never take Health for granted, and I have learned a few lessons over the past year, but it doesn't make me any more of a mother, than anyone else.

As a matter of fact, I feel like a terrible mom sometimes. I have help taking care of her, when there are many kids out there with MUCH worse conditions, that only have their moms. I frequently take time outs, where I will leave her with someone else so that I can have some "me" time, where as other moms are incapable of doing such. I often take naps when she is napping. I am incapable of keeping a clean house and hot, healthy meals on the table every night. Laundry is frequently piled up. Sometimes I wish I could be teaching music, my passion, and instilling that in someone else.

Evie deserves a Mom who can do all of these things, and instead she is stuck with me, for better or worse. As is Patrick.

I struggle with the "should-do's/ should-be's". We don't have a big fancy house on Ellerbe. We, as a matter of fact, have a lower-income Middle class home, that is mostly filled with love and second hand furniture. We have clutter, that I am embarrassed about. My husband is a procrastinator and a pack rat. And I let him be.

We went to Atlanta this past week, and there I met so many wonderful people who have much worse problems than we do. They are saints. Me? I'm just a struggling Christian, who has much room for growth.

Our care plan for Evie is pretty much the same since ATL. We are going to try her on a different med, and if that doesn't work, we will do another med, that isn't FDA approved, and THEN, if that doesn't work, we will have to resort to the GJ Tube. However, I am much more comfortable with this having seen the new GI. His plan is one that is much more feasible than our last GI, who claimed that we would have to feed her almost 24-7. His plan is to do 12 hr feeds at night, and then 3 off, 3 on, 3 off, 3 on and so on, to where we would still take her to therapy, still let her eat by mouth, and most importantly, if we didn't like it, how it was working, we could take it out, no problem. No questions asked. He spent 45 min in the room with us, talking about our options, and the procedure (Upper GI) we were going to have done, which I LOVED. After returning, he spent an additional 45 minutes explaining the results and the meds we were gonna try. I feel much more comfortable with him, than the GI from NOLA. I hope I made the right choice.

Most days, I love my life. I love being a Mommy and a wife. I love selling 31, and I love my 30 min a week teaching. But some days, I feel like its not enough. I am not fulfilling my life long dream of performing/singing/songwriting/conducting/teaching. It feels like I am just floating right now. I am hoping God will reveal his plan for me and I am hoping that it has something to do with music. But most days, I am not so sure. Its probably a huge lack of faith on my part. But I am going to figure it out one day.

For now, I will continue to do the best job I can with Evie, and try not to sink into depression. I will be a wife and mother, in that order, some day, if not today.
I will have that house on Ellerbe. I will keep the laundry folded and put away. I will have brand new furniture that fits my style, and a clutter free front room. I will have hot, healthy meals on the table at supper. And hopefully, I will be, as Brother Mark used to say, the best Christian that Evie knows.

2 comments:

  1. Brittany---first--I think you are so awesome and so does God-don't forget He made you perfectly the way He wanted you to be and He doesn't make mistakes. He knew all of your getting up and lying down and He knows your thoughts and your words before you speak them and HE LOVES YOU anyway (and me too by the way, haha) but second…I have begun to learn that it is ok to change your dreams and plans when they no longer fit your life. I think if we all became what we planned when we were younger we would not be happy and just think of what we would miss out on! The only person who expects those things of you is you! Everyone else know that reality is that there is no perfectly kept house, there is no one who can cook dinner every night, there will always be 5 more pounds to lose, or one more dish to wash but Evie will only remember that you were always there when she needed you! I love you and I am so glad you are my friend. (By the way, I cried when I read your blog because I just had a meltdown about how messy my house was!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany...I used to feel overwhelmed with all the things you mentioned and I didn't have a special needs child. Be glad you have help and continue to ask for it. It's the best way to stay sane. And Evie needs a sane mommy. You'll make it through this. I know it's hard to look past today's struggles, but try to. The house can wait. The laundry can wait. Take that nap without guilt. You NEED it. Take advantage of the stolen moments you can get with Patrick. Don't feel guilty, don't compare your life to others. Take things as they come. Some days will be difficult and others will be the best. It's okay to have both. We all love you and we don't criticize you. Keep looking up! You with Jesus help can do this. Love you, Lori Martin

    ReplyDelete