Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Welcome To Holland

This story was very fitting for our situation. SO I thought I'd share.


Welcome To Holland
by
Emily Perl Kingsley

When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous
vacation trip - to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make
your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The
gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian.
It's all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack
your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The
stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."

"Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for
Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of
going to Italy."

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in
Holland and there you must stay.

The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible,
disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease.
It's just a different place.

So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole
new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would
never have met.

It’s just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less
flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you
catch your breath, you look around.... and you begin to notice that
Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has
Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy... and
they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And
for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was
supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away... because
the loss of that dream is a very very significant loss.

But... if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to
Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very
lovely things ... about Holland.



_____________________________________________________________________________________

Yes, life in Holland is different than life in Italy. It is beautiful. Just in a different, less romanticized way.

In case you are wanting an update, here is what is happening, as of late:

Evangeline is now scheduled for therapy at Christus Schumpert, where her Drs are located, and where all of our favorite people are. She will be seeing Speech, OT, and PT. We begin there on Tuesday seeing all 3 They have informed me that the techniques they use for feeding issues are very closely alined with Baylor. No forcing, no holding hands, nothing of that nature. So, we are going to try our best at this venture that has been set upon us. We either do it all or nothing. We still have early steps, as an interventionist venue, but they are going to be more of a consult than, actual therapy. Of course, should things not work out at Schumpert, then we can call Early steps and get back with our therapists.

One thing I was concerned about, was the feelings involved. Everyone thinks they know what is best for Evie, and they all want what is best for her. So, it is hard for me as a mother, to make that decision. I don't want any feelings to be hurt. After you work 2 days a week with someone for 8 months, you get to know them pretty well. And I value what each and every therapist has done for Evie. I love them all. But there comes a time, when we have to try something different. A different approach. Its not bad, the other way, just time for a change, I guess.

I am glad that all 3 new therapists will be able to be on the same page, sometimes even sharing sessions. I think this will be a positive change, and the team approach will be best for Evie. Too, she responds better when not in the home. She needs that structured time, in a different facility. I pray that we are making the right choice.

Please be in prayer with us, that all will go well. She is beautiful, smart, and so loving. I just want what is best for her.

There are also some things going on, that I am not, at this moment, at liberty to discuss, concerning Evie's healthcare needs. Please pray with us to resolve these issues, with minimal discourse and accusations. We love you all.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brittany, My name is Tracy and I came across your blog when I Googled LCHAD. I'm always trying to learn more about LCHAD as my very good friends have a 14 y.o. daughter with this condition.

    How are you doing? How is your little girl?

    Sending well wishes and hugs to you and your family.

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete