Powered By Blogger

Friday, December 3, 2010

Eating out with an LCHADer

I can't sleep tonight so I decided to tell you about my first experience today with eating out with an LCHADer. We went to Southfield Grill. Usually, I would not post the name of the place/person that I am having difficulties with but these people were so incredibly rude and we so uncooperative that I am telling you, not to get you not to go there, but to explain why I will not go there, should you invite me with you.

We go in, and place our order. It is a down-home Southern country cooking restaurant, so ordering healthy is rather hard to do, as it is. I ordered smoked pork loin, which was apparently smothered in gravy, which I didn't know about, with butter beans, which apparently are cooked in butter(?), mashed potatoes and rice broccoli and cheese casserole, which obviously isn't fat free.

So, I went with my family, who had chosen to go there, on account of the short wait, and cheap prices.

I asked for some plain white rice for Evangeline. They bring out rice smothered, and I mean SMOTHERED in butter. It was yellow!!! And placed it in front of her and she reached her hand in and put it in her mouth. I, of course, was not expecting this. I asked the lady if it had butter in it, knowing full well the answer. And she, obviously said yes. So, I then asked if we could get some without butter. Just plain, white rice. Sans the butter. (Apparently, this is why we have such high obesity rates in Louisiana, and all over the south.) So, then I proceeded to find out that NONE of their veggies came cooked without butter. The waitress, not the brightest person in the world, bless her heart, asked me if I wanted her to eat Mashed Potatoes, COOKED IN BUTTER!!!!!! I said, "No Ma'am. She cannot process fats and I just want something for her to munch on, that is fat free". "Why?", the waitress asked, with an accusing attitude. My reply, "She has a metabolic disorder to where she will get sick if she eats fats". However, I lost her at the words "metabolic disorder". I couldn't get them to cook ANYTHING without butter. So they asked if I wanted toast. Without the butter. REally??? Toast??? Is that the best you can do for an INFANT? Needless to say, my child "ate" fat free crackers and a few Gerber pinwheels that I had packed for her.


Now, this wasn't our first time eating out with Evie. We have gone out numerous times, but I have never tried to order something for her. I always pack snacks for her to "eat" (throw on the floor, really) and to be a part of the family. But, she has been doing so much better lately, that I wanted to try something a little different.

So, why is it that I am embarrassed, when obviously, the waitress is the one who is ignorant and very unhelpful? She didn't try at all to accommodate Evangeline, and I have a feeling it is going to be like this for the rest of her life. I am going to try my best to protect her from situations like this in the future. I should have never agreed to go there in the first place, knowing Evie was going to try to eat with us. I can only be thankful that she will never remember this incident. I hope and pray that time will take the memory away from me.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe they couldn't cook rice without butter. I don't blame you for being angry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really me either...that is just plain ridiculous

    ReplyDelete